Thursday, February 07, 2008

Strength

I know a kid, Kevin. He's two years younger than I and he's dying of cancer. I can't really remember how long this has been going on (I'm a monster with dates), but first he got leukemia, then lymphoma (or was it the other way?...). He was doing well after awhile. He got a bone marrow transplant and things seemed to be going well.

Then he crashed. I don't really know what happened, but they don't think he's gonna make it. There's nothing more the doctor's can do.

I found out this morning that the decision to stop trying new treatments, it wasn't made by his parents. He made that decision. That is strength.

And it made me wonder. Would I do that? Would I be able to do that? I don't know. I pray I don't have to find it. But it makes me wonder just the same.

And it made me determined to keep on top of something I discovered last night. Something to build strength. It's called The Éowyn Challenge.

Now do you realize how far those sturdy little hobbits walked during the course of The Lord of the Rings? Over 6,000 miles. That's really far. Me, I'm just aiming for Rivendell right now. Distance from Bag End to Rivendell: 458 miles.

1 down, 457 to go. See ya there.

Shine~Ley

No comments: